Running of the HERD
You are all invited to come celebrate the 2018 Running of the HERD with Chapter173 & the
173rd Infantry Brigade. 2018 will mark the 12th Annual Running of the Herd. C/BSB has historically
planned/executed the event, as a 24-hr team relay to remember actions during Operation Hump in
Vietnam on 8 Nov that left 48 Americans dead after being ambushed by Viet Cong Fighters. In addition to
the 24-hr team relay , additional events include an individual 5K race and an individual 17.3 mile race.
Registration Open online now - see "Register Here!"
Registration Open on site - 16 July 1100 to 1400
Registration Open on site - 17 July 0900-1100
24hr. relays will begin at 1100 on 17July 2018 and end on 18 July 2018 at 1100.
17.3 mile race will begin at 0815 on 18 July 2018.
5k race and family fun run to begin at 0815-0830 on 18 July 2018.
1) 173rd Association Membership drive. (see membership button above)
2) 24-hr team relay (heavy & lightweight divisions) ~ $25 registration fee per person (Commemorative T-Shirt included).
a. Teams must consist of 5-7 people.
b. Lightweight division - normal running.
c. Heavyweight division - each team member will wear an OCP Uniform with boots and carry a 35 lb. pack/ruck on.
3) 17.3 mile race ~ $25 registration fee per person. (Commemorative T-Shirt included)
4) 5K race by age group & family fun run. ~ $25 registration fee per person (Commemorative T-Shirt included).
a. $0 without a T-Shirt or participation medal **(Cannot win the events first place awards)**.
b. Age groups for Male and Female:
- 12 and Under.
- 13 to 17.
- 18 - 36.
- 37 and Over.
Initial Rules for the 'Running of the HERD"
* Open to USAG personel and Italian military Units
** REMINDER** This is a Memorial "Run to Remember"
*** Chapter173 is a small volunteer Non-Profit association. Beverages and Snacks will "NOT" be provided unless donated from local services, however those items will be available for purchase from AAFES and the Warrior Zone both located on Caserma Del Din.
**** First come First serve basis on commemorative T-Shirts ONLY 200 available before the event. 10 days for delivery after in stock sells out.
(European sizes - 25-S, 25-M, 50-L, 50-2XL) [ online registration has priority)
1. All participants are required to sign a Participation Release from Liability Waiver form.
2. 24 hour relay - The team with the most miles/laps and fastest time wins (No runners may start a new lap within the last 15 minutes).
a. Team members can run as many laps as they choose they do not have to alternate on a given pattern or have to run equal laps. Teams are required to manage their own rotation.
b. Teams must consist of no more than 7 and no less than 5 people.
c. Cheating by not staying on the designated running course will result in the entire Team being disqualified.
d. The relay exchange will occur at the Start/Finish point unless approved otherwise by the Director of the event.
i. The start finish point will move at 0700 on 18 July to a more forward position on the track. Details TBA at a later date.
3. 24hr. relays will begin at 1100 on 17July 2018 and end on 18 July 2018 at 1100.
4. 17.3 mile race will begin at 0815 on 18 July 2018.
5. 5k race and family fun run to begin at 0815-0830 on 18 July 2018.
** if you choose to participate but do not want to pay the registration fee you will not be eligible for the 1st Place awards nor will you receive a T-Shirt or completion Medal"
6. Awards for first place Teams in the 24hr Relay Races and Individual 17.3 mile & 5K runs for registrants whom have paid the registration.
**More rules to be announced at a later date and time.**